How is it February already!? I feel like I say that every month… but seriously! January flew by and I feel like I don’t have nearly as much to show for it as I probably should. I made a LOT of goals and I tried to keep tabs on all of it, but yikes. First, let’s look at January’s Goals and see how I did and what went down around here.
- SUCCESS! Move out the house guest and reclaim the extra apartment key and my spare bedroom.
- FAIL. Obtain some moving boxes & more garbage bags.
- FAIL. Clean up ALL of the clutter in the common areas.
- FAIL. Sort through the ridiculous amounts of clothing we have into piles of Wash & Pack, Donate, or throw away and take stuff to be donated.
- FAIL. Go through boxes that are still packed (yup, there are some) and sort through it all to either throw away, donate, or sell piles.
- FAIL. Clean my desk off completely.
- SUCCESS! Buy one piece of furniture for the house.
- IN PROGRESS. Secure the house loan.
That’s a lot of red. Yikes. I don’t think I really even have a good excuse. Jeremy has been home 95% of this month and for whatever reason, we feed off of one another’s procrastination. It’s so bad. We’re so alike that once one of us gets lazy, the other does too.
We picked up playing Minecraft again. Some nights… errr early hours of the morning… I remember why we stopped in the first place. We get out of hand with it and stay up way too late. Oops. We sucked Jeremy’s family into it too and we’ve all been playing together. It’s been a blast, but probably why we haven’t packed anything. Haha
The house guest is gone and much as I’m glad that we were able to help him, I’m glad he isn’t here any more. We wanted to give him some privacy and went out of town to visit family during the weekend he was to be moving out. I didn’t want it to be awkward for him. I’m a little peeved at the fact that he left bowls of old food in the sink, soda can boxes, and a bag of trash for us to take out. I’m not homemaker of the year, but it’s my apartment… I can be messy if I want to be – you can’t.
We never got a thank you. He lived here for 7 months completely free of charge, and we never got a thank you. And although he’s gone, we have another month of very expensive internet to pay for because during the majority of the time he lived here, we went over our allotted 300GB of data from Comcast. January was no exception. So he’s not even here and we’re still paying for him. I’m so glad it’s over and I’m happy to have the spare bedroom back.
As some of my readers know, we bought a farm table recently. It was our first big house item that we bought together (I also purchased my new office chair, which I have had my heart set on for many months). Unfortunately, we’re stuck with the particle board farm table. They refused to take it back after misrepresenting it to us. They even continued to lie over the phone with different stories regarding returns and how we couldn’t return it because the consignee had already been paid, followed by telling another member of the family that they don’t pay out until the 10th of the month. They got very ugly reviews from me on Google and Yelp.
Fortunately, we also made a fabulous find at what we call “the rich people’s Goodwill” because it’s in a very wealthy neighborhood. We’ve been looking for some kind of chair to add to my office – a nice place for Jeremy to sit or a friend when they come in. I couldn’t find what I was looking for. Even when I found something I could have probably lived with, it was over $400! I started looking for chairs to reupholster, but I was still running into the trouble of $100-$200 chairs that needed a lot of love. And then we found this hideous chair that is in the most amazing condition besides the fact that the fabric is ripped up… for $10. TEN DOLLARS! A friend of mine is going to help me refurbish it and I am so excited! Excuse the terrible, quick phone shot from in the store.
We haven’t secured the home loan. We went in and re-did all of the paperwork. We had to refile it all because last time we did all of this (back in September) it was taking too long to receive some things in the mail we needed to bring to the loan company. We’re good to go… we’re just waiting for our official closing date so they can lock it down.
- SUCCESS! Keep our fridge/freezer stocked with fruit & veggies for smoothies.
- IN PROGRESS. Find a suitable meal replacement plan I can tolerate (probably something we can mix into a daily smoothie – totally accepting suggestions).
- FAIL. Drink one smoothie every day (so far, so good).
I tried to drink one smoothie every day in the month of January. While I did fail, I didn’t do too badly. We missed 4 days while we were out of town and didn’t have the ability to make our smoothies. We also missed a few days sprinkled in across the month. In the end, I think I can safely say that we did 3 weeks worth of the challenge.
We haven’t looked any deeper into meal replacement plans. Jeremy tried a couple during the brief time he was away for work this month and I don’t think he cared for any of them.
- IN PROGRESS. Grow my Instagram following and reach 1,000 followers!
- SUCCESS! Complete at least 2 more posts for my new Blogging Like a Boss series.
- IN PROGRESS. Post my earnings & statistics for the month in hopes of holding myself accountable.
- IN PROGRESS. Revamp at least 5 old posts with more Pinterest-friendly graphics.
- FAIL. Prepare a freebie for my newsletter subscribers.
At some point in the month of January, I reached over 1,000 Instagram followers during a giveaway hosted by Angie of My So-Called Chaos. Unfortunately, I ended up losing about 60 of the 500+ new followers I gained and I am back to below 1,000. Still, I don’t think such a gain is anything to scoff at. I’ve worked really hard on my Instagram this month.
I’m really excited about the 2 new posts I wrote for my Blogging Like a Boss series. My post about How My Blog Made Real Money was especially helpful to me personally. I took the time to go through all of my earnings and expenses of my blog for the entire 2015 in preparation for my taxes. A lot of readers found it to be a quite useful post and I’m so glad I shared it. And since tax time is upon us, I wanted to share some great Deductions and Credits for Bloggers that people may not know about. These have really helped me get the most of my return.
Otherwise, I kind of floundered a bit this month and I don’t really have a good excuse. I’m working on a post revealing my earnings for January 2016 (and expenses!), and revamping old graphics to be more Pinterest friendly.
- SUCCESS! Buy a planner – I really do need one.
- SUCCESS! Get some new clothes – especially a new bra.
- SUCCESS! Organize a brunch with the officers of the Charleston chapter of Geek Girl Brunch.
- SUCCESS! Take a mini vacay upstate to see Jeremy’s family.
- FAIL. See Star Wars: The Force Awakens again!
I bought a pretty basic planner from Target. I’m not going to lie… I’m failing at using it. I’m still trying to incorporate it into my every day life. I’m kind of glad now that I didn’t buy something more expensive. I did take it with me when I organized a brunch with my Geek Girl Brunch officers. Go me!
I bought some clothes from Torrid, although I did send some things back. I just placed another order – this time for some undies since they have a nice 5 for $35 deal going on.
We took a mini vacay mid month to see Jeremy’s family and had a great time, as always. We were going to see Star Wars again while up there, but we kind of ran out of time. I did get to finally meet one of Jeremy’s Grandmothers however… and she was the most adorable and sweetest thing! She reminded me so much of my own Grandmother when she was alive.
This month has already started out crazy. I had jury duty yesterday. It was the longest 12 hour day of my life – and I wasn’t even selected for a panel! Fortunately… no jury duty today although I still need to call back after 6pm “for further instructions”. Ugh. I hope they won’t need me.
A lot is happening with the house this month. It’s happening super fast and we have a lot of things to do between now and March.
- Obtain some moving boxes & more garbage bags.
- Clean up ALL of the clutter in the common areas.
- Sort through the ridiculous amounts of clothing we have into piles of Wash & Pack, Donate, or throw away and take stuff to be donated.
- Go through boxes that are still packed (yup, there are some) and sort through it all to either throw away, donate, or sell piles.
- Clean my desk off completely.
- Get the closing date.
- Lock down the home loan.
- Give our 2 month notice to our apartment complex ASAP.
- Choose paint colors for the new house (scary)
- Look into getting put onto Jeremy’s health insurance since I lost mine.
- Continue using smoothies as meal replacements.
- Try to cut down on the sugar (she said, as she stuffs a donut into her mouth).
- Keep our fridge/freezer stocked with fruit & veggies for smoothies.
- Update a couple of posts that contain outdated information.
- Conclude January’s The Golden Snitch Giveaway.
- Finishing organizing and run February’s The Golden Snitch Giveaway.
- Complete at least 2 more posts for my new Blogging Like a Boss series.
- Post my earnings & statistics for the month in hopes of holding myself accountable.
- Revamp at least 5 old posts with more Pinterest-friendly graphics.
[Tweet “Phew! Kimi is gonna be a busy lady. Check out her #goals for the month!”]
I know. I have another busy month ahead. I’m hoping that I can get through at least most of this stuff – especially stuff around the house. We really need to get it done. I’m afraid my blog will get put on the backburner during the next couple of months and I absolutely do not want to see that happen. It’s been doing so well!
What are you up to this month? Are you as busy as I am? (Please say yes so I feel better haha)