The Holiday Shopping Season seems to start earlier every year. I work a retail job and it looks as if my local mall has basically completely skipped Halloween, much less Thanksgiving. Several stores already have their winter seasonal marketing things out and in some cases, even a bit of Christmas decoration.
Perhaps it’s time to start preparing for holiday shopping as those much needed sales and door-busters are practically right around the corner. What can you do to prepare for Holiday Shopping?
1. Start Saving. If you haven’t started saving money yet or you haven’t mapped out some sort of spending budget, you absolutely need to do so as soon as possible. It’s already mid-October and there are only about 5 more pay periods between now and Christmas (assuming you get paid every 2 weeks like myself).
2. Make a ‘I Need to Shop For…’ List. Who do you want to buy or make gifts for this year? How much do you want to spend (or not want to spend!) on each person? Be realistic. If you really want to get your kid (or your husband) a PS4, then maybe you can’t afford to buy a gift for that really awesome Starbucks employee who makes your pumpkin spice lattes just right. It’s okay! Don’t forget to include any gifts you want to get for your boss, a gift exchange at work or any Christmas parties you may attend this year.
3. Research Prices. There’s nothing worse than making a purchase and finding something much cheaper at another store. Do your homework and research the prices before you hit the streets. Look through local newspaper ads (print isn’t dead yet!), find stores online offering free shipping and other holiday deals. Create a “plan of attack” and make your dollar stretch a bit further this year.
4. Holiday Countdown. Maybe it seems ridiculous to mention that as of this post, there are only 65 days until Christmas. Trust me… they go by faster than you think. Be sure to keep in mind that every time you say “Oh, I’ll do it next week”, you will be another 7 days behind and will find yourself feeling rushed and frustrated when you finally get around to planning and shopping. This leads me to…
5. Get a Head Start. Holiday Shopping for loved ones should be fun. Procrastination leads to rushed shopping, over spending and it’s genuinely a holiday cheer suck. So start now. Make the plan and make better shopping choices this year.
And now, a Giveaway!
This should help! Below, you can enter to win a $75 gift card to Nordstrom. If you win, you can purchase some gifts for someone on your list, give them the whole card or maybe buy a little something for yourself. ;)
Here’s a gift idea I like for the geeky person on your list!
Loot Crate – Great for the geek in your life. For about $20, you easily get $40+ worth of geeky things like t-shirts, figurines, games and more. You can get someone a monthly subscription and/or you can cancel any time. It’s not very expensive and you get major bang for your buck. Woot! Use SAVE10 to get 10% off now! How awesome is that?
What would you do with your Nordstrom gift card if you win?